Takeaway boss fined after schoolgirl, 15, died of allergic reaction – Daily News


 A takeaway boss has been fined after a 15-year-old schoolgirl collapsed and died after eating a doner kebab  Chloe Marie Gilbert was shopping in bath with a friend on March 5 last year when she visited the Al Falafel takeaway, in Bath, Somerset  Soon after eating a doner kebab containing unspecified yoghurt bought from the shop, Chloe, who had a severe dairy allergy, began feeling unwell  While walking through the Southgate Shopping Centre with her friend, she suffered an anaphylaxis reaction and began to have breathing difficulties, Somerset Live reports  She collapsed and, despite the arrival of medical staff, could not be revived. She was pronounced dead soon after at 3 30pm.  An investigation after her death found the kebab had contained allergens, but there had been no warnings in the shop  After her death, her parents paid a heartbreaking tribute to her, saying: “Our dear Chloe, a true angel, is loved and so dearly missed by us, her brother, all her friends and family ”  Riad Benotman, 37, of Bath, the only director of Al Falafel Takeaway Ltd in Monmouth Street, has now been ordered to pay more than £2,800 following her death  Appearing at Bath Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday (June 20) he admitted an offence of failing to identify the food he served was hazardous to customers with food sensitivities and failing to ensure documentation in respect of allergies was kept up to date  Benotman was fined £800, ordered to pay £2,000 costs and a victim surcharge of £80  In sentencing Benotman, District Judge Taylor said: “You are not before the court for causing the death of Chloe Gilbert Nothing I can do or say will lessen the grief for Chloe’s family.  “What happened was a tragic situation which I’m sure will live with them forever  “As you are the person who served Chloe on that day I’m satisfied that what happened will live with you forever You were running a takeaway business and in doing so you had an obligation to comply with the law ”  On the day of Chloe’s death the takeaway premises were closed by police and a joint investigation commenced with Bath & North East Somerset Council’s Trading Standards and Food Safety teams  The council’s officers were able to obtain samples of the doner kebab meat from inside the premise  A subsequent investigation revealed that Chloe, who had a dairy allergy and carried an epi-pen at all times, had suffered a severe allergic reaction to the doner kebab she had purchased from Al Falafel takeaway  The investigation also established there were no signs in the shop alerting customers to the presence of any allergens in food and none of the menus on the premises carried any allergen information  The Al Falafel Takeaway, which has been trading in the centre of Bath for more than 10 years and employs three members of staff, was inspected by Council Food Safety officers on September 26 2016  A spokesman for Bath and North East Somerset Council said: “During that inspection, officers noted there were no allergen signs on display and advised Benotman that he needed to erect a sign that could clearly be seen by customers when ordering food Read More Top Stories from Mirror.co.uk  “When interviewed in the course of the investigation Benotman accepted that he had not erected any sign as requested saying he would provide allergen information verbally if asked ”  Speaking after the hearing, Stuart Brown, Trading Standards Team Leader for Bath & North East Somerset Council, said: ”This a very tragic case for someone so young who had such a severe allergy and I extend my sympathies to the family  “Bath & North East Somerset Council will extend every effort to prevent similar incidents happening in the future  “This sad case illustrates the importance for food businesses to provide accurate allergen information to their customers and alongside this maintain suitable food safety procedures to ensure risks to public health are addressed  “Our Trading Standards and Food Safety teams will continue to work together and hold businesses to account for their failures ”  Tributes to Chloe, who is originally from Seend near Melksham in Wiltshire, flooded in soon after news of her passing emerged  In a statement, Melksham Oak Community School paid tribute to the schoolgirl’s infectious smile and “lust for life”  “Chloe had a great sense of humour and was beautiful inside and out,” the school said  “She had time for people and genuinely tried to look after those around her.  “Chloe was also creative, she drew fantastic pictures, as if the colour and warmth she had inside needed to radiate outwards  “There has not been a single person, teacher or student that has not had anything but the most positive of things to say about this young woman ”  Candice Walters wrote: ”I am honestly, utterly gutted, life is so unfair.  ”We have some amazing memories which literally some of them were the best weeks I’ve had away and they will never be forgotten  ”Chloe Gilbert rest in peace you beautiful, beautiful soul.”  Another wrote: ”R I.P Chloe Gilbert you will never be forgotten you will always be a part of us all gonna be missed by loads of people ”  Ebony Bryant posted: ”You were and still are an amazing person who was taken way too soon for all of us  ”You’re such a stunning girl and loved by so many of us.  ”A massive thanks to your family for raising an inspiring young girl but also so sorry for you You’ll never be forgotten angel.”  Shniele Swaby wrote: “Sleep tight beautiful.”  Chloe’s death was recorded as accidental at an inquest at Avon Coroner’s Court in Flax Bourton on June 16 2017  After the inquest Chloe’s parents released a statement, which said: “Thank you to all the services that tried to help Chloe that tragic day Also the shop workers nearby, the members of the public and Chloe’s friend who did everything she could  “Our dear Chloe, a true angel, is loved and so dearly missed by us, her brother, all her friends and family ”  There are no family donations but people can donate to the charities which work with anaphylaxis sufferers: Allergy UK and the Anaphylaxis Campaign

2 Replies to “Takeaway boss fined after schoolgirl, 15, died of allergic reaction – Daily News”

  1. These people are fined for the death of a young life its a disgraced there no LAW in this country BRITAIN is going DOWN the pan

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *